Tips for Eating Healthy at Restaurants
One of the most difficult things of trying to follow a healthy lifestyle is going out to eat at restaurants. At home you can control quantities and ingredients to be sure you’re following a healthy eating plan; but eating at a restaurant can feel like a risk because you can’t know how all things are prepared or what hidden fats or other ingredients which could hinder your health plan might be contained in what you order. Eating out at your favorite restaurants or trying new ones is one of life’s great pleasures, though. Fortunately, there’s good news! You can continue enjoying meals out at restaurants without ruining your healthy-eating goals. With a little planning and these easy-to-do tips, you can be prepared to make delicious, healthy choices.
- Look at the menu in advance – Today it’s easier than ever to check out menus before you ever step foot outside your home. Most restaurants have their complete menu posted on their websites, often with nutritional info included! It’s best to know ahead of time what you’ll order; that way you won’t be tempted to make a less healthful choice.
- Look for key words on the menu that are giveaways for what to avoid — Words and descriptions like these usually mean more calories and undesirable fats and carbohydrates:
Instead, look for menu items with words such as:
- Order meat – Unless you’re a vegetarian, meat can be a good healthy choice. It has a ton of protein and, when lean, is a great idea to order. If unsure about beef, pork, or lamb, chicken is another great high protein, low fat option, particularly chicken breast. Eating meat helps you feel full and satisfied without having to fill up on empty carbs.
- Don’t be afraid to ask – Asking questions could be the best way to assure you’re getting what you want (or worse, not getting something you don’t want). It’s perfectly fine to ask about the preparation and ingredients of a dish. If they can’t adapt it to your needs, you can always find a different item to order.
- Order dessert if it’s special – This goes against most advice on eating healthy, but some desserts are worth the calories. The secret is to share with others at the table so that you satisfy your sweet tooth without blowing your calorie budget. Baklava, Tiramisu, and Greek Rice Pudding aren’t things you will often find at home, so indulge, but do it in moderation. Denying yourself a treat now and then can lead to bingeing and overeating later.
At Paymon’s, the use of zero trans-fat oils, non-msg spices, natural preservatives, no artificial flavorings, sea salt etc. is a testament to our philosophy of delivering the best dining experience. Visit any of our three Las Vegas-area locations where you will find many healthy and delicious options from which to choose. Check out our menu at https://bit.ly/2itJQ4Y.