Looking for a new and fulfilling food diet? Changing up your diet often feels like you are limiting yourself from certain foods. But there is a diet which doesn’t keep you hungry all day. The Mediterranean Diet is a fantastic eating plan and is recommended for longevity, weight loss, stopping heart disease, diabetes, and more. The message is clear about the real-life health benefits of a Mediterranean diet.
What is the Mediterranean Diet?
The overall food recommendations for the diet are based on decades of study from several European countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, primarily Greece, Italy, France, and Spain. If you can incorporate even one or two of these basics, you’ll feel the rewards in no time.
Guidelines for a Mediterranean diet
You don’t have to have a rigid mindset for this eating plan because we all sometimes know you break the rules of a diet. Making some food swaps is still part of healthy eating when consumed as a special treat, and not daily.
Follow these recommendations for this type of diet:
- Increase consumption of eggs, poultry, and fish (2-4 times a week)
- Replace butter with olive oil or other unsaturated fats (like canola oil)
- Reduce your red meat consumption (up to 2 times a week)
- Increase plant-based foods, including a variety of fruits and vegetables (fresh or frozen, cooked or raw), whole grains and legumes (1/2 – 1 cup serving), and nuts (1 handful/day)
- If you enjoy alcohol, include up to a 5-ounce serving of red wine daily (white, if you prefer)
- Swap herbs and spices like garlic, oregano, basil, and cinnamon for the salt shaker
- Include low-fat dairy products daily (plain yogurt, feta cheese, parmesan cheese, milk)
Almost all foods can be part of a balanced and healthy diet—but your overall health and well-being can be significantly affected by how often you eat different foods, and the portion size you choose.
Health benefits of a Mediterranean diet
This type of diet has been linked to lower rates of cancer, obesity, Alzheimer’s disease, and heart disease. And although we can’t adopt all aspects of the Greek-island lifestyle, we can incorporate some of the eating patterns and dietary traditions practiced there. The best part? Eating like a Greek is not only healthy but also very delicious.
Test Out Your New Diet at Paymon’s
Paymon’s Mediterranean Restaurant is the perfect place to conquer your cravings with your new diet. Try our menu to experience the wonders of Mediterranean foods for yourself. Visit us today see our delicious offerings!
Don’t have time to come to the restaurant? Have our Mediterranean food delivered right to your door! Order Paymon’s on Postmates! New customers get a $100 food delivery credit when they use the code “Paymon100” at checkout.